Friday, June 11, 2010

4 years ago ....

The 2006 World Cup will always have a special place in my heart.  I’ve had memorable milestones and blessings in the last four years that could quite possibly be a direct result of what I witnessed in the last World Cup.
 
I remember watching the Italians play against the US and adoring how physically fit and sound the Azzurri were. Fabio Cannavarro was the first to catch my attention. He was a few years older than me, not too tall, stocky for a footballer, and halting every American attack like a man possessed. My sister made a very bold statement during the game, “You and that guy have the same build”. Sorry but aside from the broad shoulders not even close, dear sis. The man was built like a wall and I was in my late 20’s overweight and looking to get in shape. In that exact moment, something triggered in my head. Do I sit here and continue to eat my adobo or should I finally do something about my weight? So I asked myself what would be the ONE THING I can benefit from these athletes and implement to my lifestyle. Well duh, they run a lot. I put the bowl of adobo down, laced up my old dusty Air Max 95’s, and ran no more than two minutes before I was completely gassed. The rest is history. Fast forward to today and with four half marathons, five triathlons, and countless 5k’s under my belt; I’m still running and I’m in the best shape of my life.  Thank you, Fabio Cannavarro.
 
The most important piece in my life today can also be traced back to June of 2006. The World Cup was well underway and my cousin, Sheryl Jane, invited me to join her and a few friends for dinner. I decided to wear my gold Adidas runners after catching a glimpse of Spain’s Fernando Torres walking out with the same pair. Little did I know that in only a matter of a few hours I would meet the most amazing, captivating, loving, genuine, and beautiful woman in the world. Three years and four months later from that day, this woman became my wife. As my grandma always says, it was all orchestrated by The Lord. Sorry Grandma, I think the gold shoes also had something to do with it. Thank you, Fernando Torres.

So as the 2010 FIFA World Cup kicks off, cheers to a great tournament and for greater things to come in the next four years ...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment